Featured Section 106 Success Stories
Woodrow Wilson Bridge
Work of Art Spans the Potomac River
Hotel Del Monte-Herrman Hall
Historic Hotel Complex Updated to Meet National Defense Needs
National Cemetery Expansion Avoids, Protects Significant Civil War Site
At the end of the Civil War, faced with the daunting task of caring for volunteer Union soldiers disabled in service, Congress established the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers to care for these soldiers in three branch locations across the country. These “Homes” went beyond providing residences and medical care for disabled veterans; they featured a complete home environment with educational facilities, employment opportunities, and recreational amenities.
Strong Public-Private Coalition Leads to Establishment of Park
Established in 1867, the Northwestern Branch was the second facility founded under the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers created by Congress and President Abraham Lincoln to care for volunteer Union soldiers disabled during the Civil War. The “Homes” provided residential and medical care for veterans in a holistic environment with educational, employment, and recreational opportunities.