Pilot Point (population 3,538) was laid out in 1854 upon a high, wooded point of land that traditionally was a landmark for Indians and later for rangers, scouts, and other travelers.
Pilot Point is the oldest community in Denton County and is home to the county's oldest brick building, dating from the early 1870s. It and other historic buildings cluster around the community's original downtown square.
At the northeast corner, the Pilot Point National Bank Building (1892) was recently rehabilitated to house the police department. Leading the community's preservation initiatives is the Pilot Point Main Street Advisory Board, which was instrumental in restoring the one-room Bloomfield School (1883).
Originally located in a nearby community which was inundated by creation of Lake Ray Roberts in the 1970s, the building was moved to Pilot Point and now is used as a living laboratory to teach local schoolchildren about the past.
The school will soon be open to the visiting public, and highway signs have been erected encouraging tourists to visit Pilot Point's historic downtown. Pilot Point also participates in the Texas Lakes Trail heritage tourism initiative of the Texas Historical Commission.
Designated a Preserve America Community in August 2004.