Mt. Pleasant (population 2,707) was initially settled in 1852 by Mormon pioneers, but was abandoned the next year due to Indian raids.
The community was resettled in 1859, and the peace treaty ending the Black Hawk War between Mormon settlers and the Indians was signed in Mt. Pleasant in 1872 at what is now the Old Pioneer Museum. The community prospered following the end of hostilities and with the coming of the railroad in 1890.
Many historic buildings from this era remain and are part of the historic downtown district that is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. A recent downtown revitalization project is the restoration of the historic North Sanpete High School Gymnasium as a community recreation and cultural center.
Mt. Pleasant promotes heritage tourism through its participation in the Utah Heritage Highway 89 Alliance, which markets the cultural and historic assets of the towns along Highway 89. Mt. Pleasant's visitor information center is housed in the city's 1890's railroad depot, which is the centerpiece of a planned complex of relocated historic structures that will house visitor attractions and services.
Designated a Preserve America Community in August 2004.