Morristown, Vermont, (population 5,227), was first settled in 1790 along the Lamoille River, northeast of the present-day resort village of Stowe. A rural town in the middle of Lamoille County, Morristown serves as the regional center for commerce, services, State offices and industries. Morristown has an incorporated village, Morrisville, within its boundaries.
Morristown became a “Vermont Designated Downtown” in 2003 through the collaborative efforts of community leaders, business owners, local organizations and residents. The process has been instrumental in preserving several decaying buildings and reviving interest in preserving the town’s history and identity. The community is currently updating its historic properties inventory and expanding the survey area to correspond with the boundaries of the designated downtown.
The Noyes House, a two-story federal style brick mansion built by the Safford Family in the early 19th century, is open today as a house museum. Exhibits of local and regional history, photographs, furnishings, toys, household and farm tools, quilts, costumes, military artifacts, and other artifacts related to industry, home life and leisure activities in the 19th and 20th centuries, can be viewed throughout 17 rooms and a carriage barn. Research archives and an extensive photograph collection are available to the public. Activities include guided tours, historical programs, special exhibits and an annual open house featuring the Morrisville Military Band. The 110 year-old Band plays free concerts every Thursday in the summer in the Town’s 74 year-old band shell.
The Historic Grange Hall in the heart of downtown was recently purchased by the River Arts organization with the help of the Preservation Trust of Vermont and the Town. It will be renovated for use as a local arts and community center.
Designated a Preserve America Community in October 2005.