Lynchburg, Virginia (population 65,269), was chartered in 1786 on a hill overlooking the James River ferry landing that James Lynch established nine years before. During the Civil War, Lynchburg was spared most of the destruction that befell other Virginia cities and towns, and this has contributed to the rich variety of historic resources in the city.
Lynchburg has eight districts and 35 individually listed properties on the National Register of Historic Places. The Lynchburg Historical Foundation, formed in 1972 from two earlier organizations, plays a big part in promoting and carrying out many local preservation and heritage education projects.
Working with the non-profit, Lynch’s Landing, Inc., the city is also working to revitalize its historic downtown and riverfront through a master plan in which historic preservation plays a prominent role.
Projects underway include a $3 million streetscape on Ninth Street, and the $8 million adaptive use of a historic warehouse as offices for the city’s Human Services Department.
The success of the city’s commercial district revitalization led to its recognition as a National Main Street Community in 2003. Over the next few years, Lynchburg will be participating actively in the commemoration of Virginia’s 400th anniversary through the Virginia 2007 Community Program.
Designated a Preserve America Community in September 2004.