Georgetown, Ohio (population 3,786), is the county seat and largest village in Brown County in the Cincinnati metro area. It was incorporated in 1832.
Georgetown's Historic District was placed in the National Register as a U.S. bicentennial project in 1976, after façade restorations and a signage ordinance were completed. It is centered on the 1851 Greek Revival courthouse, which was restored after a devastating fire in the late 1970s.
One block away is the boyhood home of Ulysses S. Grant, a National Historic Landmark. Built by his father, the home was Ulysses S. Grant's residence for 16 years. Another related site is the schoolhouse attended by Grant, built in 1829. Both sites are owned and operated by the Ohio Historical Society. Trained volunteers interpret Georgetown's 19th century homes and businesses for visitors, including more than 800 school children annually.
Marketing itself as the "Land of Grant," Georgetown hosts an annual U.S. Grant Celebration and Living History program that attracts 1,500 visitors and boosts the local economy. Reenactments include the arrival of Morgan's Raiders, a Civil War wedding and ball, and demonstrations of period skills.
Main Street's Commercial Row features Victorian Italianate buildings, and nearby Federal Row contains buildings constructed between 1828 and 1850. Georgetown's historic theater, first opened in 1907 as a vaudeville house, was the first place in town to show "talkies" and remained in use as a movie theater until 1962. Now beautifully restored to its original splendor, the Gaslight Theater is a cultural hub for the region.
Other historic attractions include an 1870s jail, home to the Historical Society Museum, and the New Hope Road Bridge in Georgetown, the longest single covered bridge still standing in Ohio.
Designated a Preserve America Community in August 2005.