Dover-Foxcroft (population 4,211) was originally two separate communities that developed opposite each other on the Piscataquis River during the early 19th century. In 1922, they were joined to form Maine’s only hyphenated township.
Dover was first settled in 1799 and was incorporated in 1821. Foxcroft developed after Joseph E. Foxcroft purchased land from the trustees of Bowdoin College in 1801. The waterpower of the Piscataquis River led residents to erect a number of mills during the 19th century, including lumber mills, grist mills, flour mills, and woolen mills.
To promote revitalization of downtown, the town of Dover-Foxcroft has partnered with Center Theatre, Inc., to rehabilitate the Center Theatre (1940) as a performing arts center. The first regular programming at the theatre in more than 30 years has already resulted in sold-out performances, bustling downtown restaurants, and an influx of visitors.
To promote heritage education, the Cultural Heritage and Eco-Tourism (CHET) Committee of the Piscataquis County Economic Development Council has developed curriculum and lesson plans focusing on local history. CHET has also created a Cultural Heritage Directory and Cultural Heritage Map of Dover-Foxcroft and Pisactaquis County.
Designated a Preserve America Community in May 2006.