Carrollton (population 3,846), situated at the confluence of the Kentucky and Ohio Rivers in north central Kentucky, has been a thriving community since the late 18th century when it was incorporated as the town of Port William and designated as the county seat of Gallatin County. In 1838, its name was changed and it became county seat of the newly formed Carroll County.
Two historic properties that are interpreted for the public-the Masterson House and the Butler-Turpin House-reflect different eras in the community's growth and are hubs for heritage celebrations. The Masterson House (1790) is believed to be the oldest two-story, solid-masonry home on the Ohio River between Pennsylvania and Illinois.
Demonstrations of historic trades and crafts are held at the house on Heritage Saturdays during the year. Heritage music events are held at the Butler-Turpin House (1859), a museum of antebellum farm life.
The city has been giving Carrollton's historic downtown district, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, a "facelift" through new sidewalks, streetlights, and landscaping, and through programs to assist businesses in improving their properties. Carrollton's Enterprise Incentive Program provides funds to help property owners with exterior painting, signs, and awnings.
Designated a Preserve America Community in April 2004.