Bellevue (population 6,480) is located near Cincinnati on the Ohio River. Established in 1870, it was named after the farm of Revolutionary War hero General James Taylor that formerly occupied much of the vicinity.
Bellevue was a bustling river town by the 1890s. A city directory of the period listed 15 grocery stores, four bakeries, six boot makers, seven confectioneries, two livery stables, a blacksmith, three millineries, six doctors, seven saloons, a hotel, a gas company, two undertakers, and a wagon manufacturer. The principal business thoroughfare was Fairfield Avenue.
By the 1980s, the City of Bellevue was in an economic decline both in core housing and in the Fairfield Avenue business district. Historic preservation provided an impetus for revitalization, and historic surveys identified two historic districts.
Since the 1987 passage of a historic preservation ordinance, seven million dollars has been invested in Bellevue and over 200 jobs created. Today the city takes pride in its history and has an abundance of historic architecture. Bellevue is a Certified Local Government, a Kentucky Renaissance community, and a two-time recipient of Transportation Enhancement funding.
Designated a Preserve America Community in August 2004.