Section 106 Practitioners Workshop
The Section 106 Practitioners Workshop is a two-day course in which participants explore best practices and build skills in the application of the Section 106 review process to federal undertakings. The course is well-suited to individuals who participate in Section 106 reviews on a routine basis and need to further develop or maintain fluency in the vocabulary and concepts of Section 106 review in complex situations. Small group and other exercises aid the participants to:
- Apply vocabulary and procedural benchmarks of the Section 106 review process in real-world scenarios,
- Diagnose issues with and improve coordination of a Section 106 review with the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA),
- Identify challenges with and strategies to improve consultation with Indian tribes/Native Hawaiian Organizations and other consulting parties to facilitate historic preservation outcomes and agreement,
- Anticipate and experiment with best practices to avoid common pitfalls and roadblocks in Section 106 review, and
- Apply risk assessment tools to expedite review timeframes and improve the effectiveness of Section 106 consultation.
This course is for cultural resources, environmental, and legal practitioners and project managers/decision makers with current experience participating in Section 106 reviews. Participants should have a working knowledge of the four steps within the Section 106 review process. Those without such knowledge or experience are encouraged to take an introductory course, such as the NEW Section 106 Essentials or other similar course, prior to this course. You may register for the Section 106 Agreements Seminar and this course in the same week.
Not sure if this course is right for you? Take this survey.
Payment can be made by credit card. Federal employees may submit an SF 182 in lieu of a credit card. Registration fee = $550.00. (Includes morning and afternoon snacks).
The ACHP does not offer student pricing or special offers for this course.
The ACHP does not offer group discounts. If you have 20 or more individuals interested in this course, consider a By-Request or Tailored Course.
Registrants who cancel at least 14 days prior to the start of the course will receive a full refund minus a 15% processing fee. No refunds will be given for cancellations made fewer than 14 days before the start of the course; however, substitutions may be made at no cost up until three days before the course begins. All cancellations must be made in writing.
The ACHP schedules all courses in facilities that meet federal accessibility requirements. Participants with special accessibility needs should e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-517-0205.
Continuing Education Credits
While the ACHP does not offer pre-approved continuing education credits (CEs) for this course, it can provide materials to assist participants in requesting CEs from a Bar Association, AIA, AICP, or other professional organization.
For registration, hotel/travel information, and other questions, e-mail email@example.com or call 202-517-0205.